CHOCOLATE CRAFT & CONFECTIONERY
This course peels back the wrapper on the chocolate industry by highlighting the making of small-batch, bean to bar chocolate and handmade confections.
Learn the tricks of the trade and hands-on technique required to get cacao from tree to chocolate bar straight from the chocolatiers themselves. Each class day explores a new segment of the Bay Area chocolate scene, from large-scale production to in-house conching & confectionery. Join us as we roll up our sleeves in the actual kitchen and facilities where your favorite chocolates are created for a unique peek at a dynamically evolving industry.
As a student of our Chocolate Industry Intensive you become part of a growing network of Food Craft Institute students and alumni who share knowledge and resources and have on-going access to Food Craft and Eat Real Festival contacts, marketing and connections. Students will gain valuable contacts in the chocolate and confection business and become part of an extensive network of industry leaders. Your success is our success so we will do everything we can to prepare you for advancing your chocolate business!
Four-Day Intensive: Sunday-Wednesday, August 20th-23rd.
Course days are typically held between 9am-5pm each day.
Our 2017 schedule is bursting at the seams with the most inspiring and innovative master instructors:
Day 1, Sunday August 20
The Chocolate Garage, Sunita de Tourreil, CEO
– Chocolate 101
– Industry Overview
– How to Taste Chocolate
Bar Cacao, Jessica Ferraro, Founder
– Branding & marketing as a small producer
Day 2, Monday August 21
Poco Dolce, Kathy Wiley, Founder
– Introduction to Confectionery
– Enrobing and ganache demonstration
Dandelion Chocolate, Cynthia Jonasson, Chocolate Maker
– Sourcing beans & ingredients
– Chocolate 201 Tasting: components of the bar
– Hands-on Workshop: Small batch conching
Day 3, Tuesday August 22
Barlovento, Pete Brydon, Co-founder
– Business Story: biggest successes, biggest mistakes, business questions
– Sourcing equipment and maintenance
– Hands-on Workshop: Chocolate Bars
TCHO, Brad Kintzer, Chief Chocolate Maker
– Global cacao cultivation
– Outfitting a chocolate factory
– Developing a product line & creative collaborations
– Perfecting your packaging
Day 4, Wednesday August 23
CACOCO, Tony Portugal, CEO and Co-founder
– Bootstrap your chocolate venture to success
– Building sustainable supply chains
– Craft a winning crowdfunding playbook
Guittard, Thalia Hohenthal, Senior Scientist – Research and Development
– The Science of Chocolate